Out to the garden I go, never to come back again. Well that’s how it feels. I can already feel it on my skin when I spend all day out there on a sunny day. Love the vitamin D but I do burn. This is a great all natural lip balm that uses all of my favorite the ingredients.
A citrus smell would be great. However citrus essential oils don't feel really good when you have very chapped lips and can be photosensitive. If you are using a photosensitive essential oil be careful to wait before going on into the direct sunlight.
1 tablespoon Beeswax
1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
1 teaspoon Shea Butter
1 teaspoon Cocoa Butter
1 teaspoon Non Nano Zinc Oxide
10-15 drops Lavender Essential Oil (or essential oil of your choice)
1. To a glass jar or bowl add the beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter, and cocoa butter.
2. Place the jar in a half filled pot of boiling water, or the bowl over a pot of boiling water to melt the ingredients.
3. Once all the ingredients are melted remove the jar/bowl from heat and add 10-15 drops of essential oils of your choice (I like lavender the best) and stir in 1 teaspoon of non nano zinc oxide.
4. Add the mixture to lip balm containers or empty chapstick tubes and allow to cool so it hardens up.
5. Use as needed or when you are going to be in the direct sun for an extended period of time.
Avoid using the microwave to melt the ingredients. Each ingredient melts at a different temperature especially the beeswax. So it ends up boiling some of the oils way too fast and you don’t get as good of a final product.
I like to use the shallow tin containers over the plastic tubes just because I find that they are more versatile. But this is totally preference.
I love that I know everything that goes into these and that I’m not putting something toxic directly onto my lips. There are a lot of great natural lip balms out there, but I have all of these ingredients on hand anyways so it is no problem at all to whip a few of these up whenever needed. Also, these don’t need to sit on a shelf for an extended period of time so zero preservatives here!
Now, time to get back out there in the garden! I hope you give this a try or any other homemade body products. It’s actually a lot of fun and way easier than you’d expect.
Thanks for taking time out of your day to hang out here!