For the homeschool room Nicole wanted some bookshelves to display her books for the unit studies this year. As always it needed to be as inexpensive as possible. So, I threw together these simple display bookshelves that worked out perfectly.
These bookshelves would also be perfect for toddlers. They would be able to see the front of the book and remove it from the shelf easily.
These are sturdy shelves that hold a decent amount of books. You can also easily make these as long as you would like. For this room we made four 4ft. shelves.
1/2 inch x 3/4 inch board moulding
anchors and screws for mounting.
How I put it together:
- We determined the lengths that we wanted for the shelves and bought materials accordingly.
- We cut all of our pieces to meet the desired lengths we wanted. (for us 4ft. in length)
- I connected them using wood glue and finishing nails. The 1×3 is the base of the shelf, the 1×2 the back, and the 1/2 inch board moulding the lip that keeps the books on.
- Next we painted the shelves.
- Then I drilled 3 holes in the back (1×2) of the bookshelves for mounting. (this will depend on how long your make your shelves, so use your own discretion)
- Using wall anchors we mounted it onto the wall and covered the screws with a small amount of paint.
You really can’t beat the price point of this. You could easily make these four shelves for less than $20. They are also incredibly easy to put together. If you don’t have a saw to cut the wood to size at home you could always cut the wood at the lumber store for a very small fee, or for free.
Let us know if you give them a try!
Leave a Reply