I currently have a pretty old pony that doesn’t handle the irritation of flies well. I’ve been using this on him all summer and have had really good results.
Immediately the flies leave him alone in his stall when I spray him down before he goes outside for the evening. Then, the next morning when he goes to come in for the day, he is much more comfortable.
DIY Fly Spray | Natural Horse Fly Spray with Essential Oil
All natural fly spray that is quick to whip up and free of all the harsh chemicals that you find in store bought equine fly sprays.
If you don't have all of the essential oils listed I recommend still sticking to the citronella and peppermint essential oil.
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 cups filtered water
- 20 drops citronella essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops oregano essential oil
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- 1. To a glass bottle add the vinegar, water, and essential oils.
- 2. Shake before each use and spray directly onto the horse (not directly onto the face).
- 3. Store out of direct sunlight.
I use an old apple cider vinegar glass bottle for this spray. It’s a nice thick glass and when using essential oils, you want to avoid plastic as much as possible. Surprisingly the bottle fits a standard spray top, which I got from an old fly spray.
Now I don’t have scientific proof of how effective or ineffective this is compared to the store bought fly sprays. But I have seen a big difference in my horses comfort and significant decrease in flies on the horse immediately after using it.
Thank-you for taking time out of your day to hang out here!
Leave a Reply