This actually isn’t something special that we make only when we have a new born baby. This is the detergent that we use all year round for the entire family. But if you are looking for a homemade all natural laundry detergent that is gentle enough for a new born baby this is perfect and cost effective!
It’s actually funny how my husband and I have come to rely on this stuff. When we go on vacation sometimes we just use the laundry detergent everyone else is using, which is normally something like Tide or Gain. But we absolutely can’t stand the artificial smell that it leaves on our clothes. When we were first married it never mattered, but now it makes us both cringe.
This is super easy to make up and gentle enough for a newborn babies skin. Yet powerful enough to clean cloth diapers, mud soaked little boy clothes, and everything in between.
2 Bars of Castile Soap
1. Grate up two bars of Castile soap with either a food processor or a hand grater.
2. In a well ventilated area, mix together one large box of baking soda, one large box of washing soda, one large box of borax, and two bars of Castile soap grated.
3. You’re done! For a large load use about 4 tablespoons, or a regular load about 2-3 tablespoons.
- The borax is optional but I highly recommend it.
- Another brand of natural Castile Soap is Kirk’s Castile Soap.
- You can add about 30 drops of an essential oil of your choice to this recipe. However, I am super simple and really never do. Sometimes I will add a few drops of lavender essential oil to our wool dryer balls, but it’s honestly rare.
- The total cost of this is a little over $20 and this lasts me about 2-3 months and we do a ton of laundry.
I hope you found this post helpful and will give it a try. It really isn’t hard to make and takes very little time to mix together. Keeping a few boxes of each of these ingredients in your laundry room could very well get you through an entire year.
If you give this a try be sure to let us know, it always makes our day! Be sure to tag us on facebook, instagram, or comment below.
Thank-you so much for taking time out of your day to hang out here!
Leave a Reply