This is my new favorite quick breakfast that is made with healthy sweeteners and real pumpkin. It tastes delicious and doesn’t have all the additives that those oatmeal packets contain.
I end up with a ton of pumpkin puree during pumpkin season so this is a great way to use it up and get all the health benefits of pumpkin (antioxidants, vitamin A, vitamin C, dietary fiber, and potassium).
This tastes delicious as is, or topped with a tiny bit of butter and maple syrup or honey.
It also saves well in the fridge if you have any left over.
If you don't have a cast iron skillet you can alternatively melt the coconut oil in a small skillet and add to the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. Then add to a 8x8 or 9x9 glass baking dish.
To make this without soaking the oats overnight just add the milk and oats with the rest of the ingredients and double the baking time.
2 cups Old Fashioned Oats
1 1/2 cup Milk (or milk alternative)
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
2 tsp Pumpkin Spice Blend
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
3-4 tbsp Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Pecans, chopped (optional)
1. In a glass jar/container add 2 cups of old fashioned oats and 1 1/2 cups of whole milk. Stir and let sit in the refrigerator overnight. (or omit this step and double the bake time)
2. Preheat the oven to 375F.
3. Preheat a 8 inch cast iron skill on low-medium heat with 1/4 cup of coconut oil. Once the oil is fully melted remove from heat.
4. To the preheated skillet and coconut oil add the soaked oats, eggs, pumpkin spice blend, salt, baking powder, vanilla extract, pumpkin puree, and maple syrup. Stir very well then flatten with the back of the spoon.
5. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.